Commissioner Doug Phillips and members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police

 

Commissioner's Award Nomination button 

Contact the Commissioner
Tel:
867.667.5121
Fax: 867.393.6201
Email: commissioner@gov.yk.ca

412 Main Street
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 2B7

 

Taylor House

Taylor House

The Office of the Commissioner moved to the Taylor House in 2015. This large log home was built in 1937 as a residence for Bill and Aline Taylor. Bill was the oldest son of Isaac Taylor who founded the Taylor and Drury merchantile business with William Drury in 1899. Aline's family were among the early francophones in Whitehorse.

The exterior of the house is much the same as when it was built. Aline designed the house, with its distinctive mansard roof, using ideas from magazines. The house shows numerous architectural influences, predominantly American Arts and Crafts and Colonial Revival styles. An eclectic design is typical of Yukon houses of this era. The Taylors hired Frank McKay, an expert log builder, to construct the house. They cut the logs themselves about 15 kilometres north of Whitehorse in May 1937. All of the fixtures, materials and furnishings were purchased from Taylor and Drury Ltd., the family business.

The setting and location of the Taylor House echo the residential ambiance that was once an integral part of Main Street. It is a landmark in the historic downtown area of Whitehorse.